Are you getting road trip ready for when the lockdown ends?
Scrap Car Comparison has been putting together a handy list of essential items to get you ready to hit the road after lockdown. Whether you’re planning on driving across the country to an amazing forest or to your nearest beach, we’ve got the ultimate tips and hacks to keep your car and your trip running smoothly.
Get your notepads and pens ready, these items are definitely worth considering!
If you’re lucky enough to live near a beach or are dreaming about loading up the car and heading down to the coast post-lockdown, you’ll need to prepare for the ultimate day in the sun. Here are some essentials you may need:
- Cool box with lots of goodies – pack lots of water
- Plenty of sun cream with a high SPF
- Blankets or mats for ultimate beach comfort
- Trusty beach chair – maybe bring a cushion too
- Folding table for your snacks and belongings
- Waterproof speaker to provide those summer tunes
- Windbreaker and beach umbrella – for those cooler moments
- Cling film – hack: wrap the top of your open drinks to avoid spillage
- Spare bags for sandy swimmers – no sand in the car please!
- Sunglasses and hat
- Towels and swimmers
- Goggles and snorkels for underwater fun
PS. Don’t forget your bucket and spade!
For the ultimate staycation break, there’s nothing quite like camping. Pack your personal belongings and go through our list below for some essentials you might have missed – this will ensure a car full of happy campers.
- Tents, obviously… but don’t forget the tent pegs
- Sleeping bags, pillows and a few extra blankets
- Sleeping mats or blow up beds, for extra comfort.
- Lanterns and torches
- Batteries and matches – always handy to have
- Portable camp stove or BBQ
- Bin bags – leave nothing behind
- Gas or charcoal for stove/barbecue
- Cooking pans and utensils
- Camping chairs or bean bags
- Portable table
- Portable speaker to play your favourite tunes
- Cooler bag or cool box
- Tea and coffee
- Tool kit with some handy tape, just in case
- Insect repellent and medication
- Toilet roll – you don’t want to get caught short!
Long road trips
Planning a post-lockdown trip to see those far away family and friends you’ve missed? Longer trips can feel tedious and draining, so we’ve put together some long-haul essentials to keep spirits up and your car running smoothly.
- Snacks and water to keep you going – the driver should also take regular breaks
- Portable USB lead for your phone and electronic gadgets
- Sat Nav for directions
- Travel games in case your passengers get bored of eye spy
- Traditional paper map – in case your phone or Sat Nat dies
- Playlists or albums to keep you going and to keep you singing along
- Blankets for the passengers to get cosy
- Comfy seat cover and cushions
- Bags for rubbish
- Napkins and plastic utensils for eating on-the-go
- Travelling with a furry friend? Protect your pet with a safety seat belt
- Headphones or books for the passengers
- Handy apps – Download ‘Flush’ to find where the nearest toilets wherever you are. ‘JustPark’ and ‘Petrol’ will help you find nearest parking and fuel stations. To read our latest blog to find out where to get the cheapest fuel, click here.
Be sure to consider our top glove box and boots essentials below too:
- Proof of insurance, just in case
- Driver’s manual, again just in case
- Glasses / sunglasses
- Hand sanitizer and tissues
- De-icer and ice scraper
Whether you’re off to the beach, going camping or taking the family away on a long drive, always be prepared for one of the worst case scenarios – the dreaded breakdown.
Our top items to help beat the breakdown are:
- Spare tyre
- Tyre jack
- Tool kit
- High-vis jacket
- First aid kit
- Jump leads – read our nine step guide to jump starting a car.
- Car fluids and spare oil
- Large bottle of water
- Our favourite – Car breakdown cover