v5c document

DVLA Documents

The DVLA, otherwise known as the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency, is a government organisation which is responsible for maintaining the driver database in Great Britain, and the vehicle database for all of the UK.

There are a variety of circumstances where you will need to contact the DVLA however, to save you time from searching through the extensive information listed on their website, we’ve put together the most commonly requested documents, which are available for download and print through the links below.

V62 / V5 Document

The DVLA V62 is a document used when you need to apply for a vehicle registration certificate. Otherwise known as a V5C. This could be due to a variety of reasons but whether you have lost the log book or you just want to apply for a log book as a new owner, then this is the form for you. To submit your application for a vehicle registration certificate, just click here.


The DVLA V317 form is a document used when you would like to apply to keep a registration number but apply to put it on a different vehicle. This means that if you have personalised number plates, or just a registration number which you are particularly fond of, you can keep it. If you are scrapping your vehicle and would like to keep your registration number then it’s very important that you complete this form as if not, once the vehicle is dismantled and destroyed, the number plates will be destroyed with it and that registration number will be unable to be used again. To submit your application to transfer or retain your vehicle registration number, click here.


The V890 form is a form used when you would like to apply for your vehicle to be declared as off the road, otherwise known as SORN. SORN stands for Statutory Off Road Notification and it is a legal requirement to have one in place if your vehicle does not have tax. There are a variety of reasons that you may not wish to tax your vehicle and if your vehicle is not going to be used for an extended period of time then it’s financially beneficial to store it on private property and apply for a SORN. We have written more extensively about what the SORN is and why you need it on this page however, if you have already researched and would like to apply for your V890 – Statutory Off Road Notification, then you can do so by clicking this link.

At Scrap car comparison, we will do everything we can to assist with your scrap or salvage vehicle transfer and so if there’s anything you would like to discuss then you can call one of our advisors on 03333 44 99 50.

Alternatively, in the event that you have any questions that pertain to the registration of a vehicle, or anything else, then you will need to contact the DVLA directly which you can do by visiting here and selecting the department you need to speak with.
Get Quote Now

Get Offers For
Your Scrap Car In
Less Than 30 Seconds


Best price in 30 seconds

Your request is processing

Your request is processing...