Winter weather can throw up a whole host of issues when it comes to motoring, and the road network has a habit of being unable to cope when the weather takes a turn for the worst. Whether it’s flooding or snow drifts, or accidents caused by drivers being caught out by the conditions, getting stuck in traffic is never a fun experience, even in the brightest of the summer sun. When stuck in winter, though, there are other factors to consider, and you need to make sure you’re prepared for the worst.
If you’ve already found that your car has suffered a winter woe, or perhaps you just know it has absolutely no chance of making it through unscathed, then Scrap Car Comparison is here to help. No matter how badly damaged it may be, we’ll find you the very best price to help you get back on the road as soon as possible. With a network at our fingertips that stretches the length and breadth of the country, you’re never too far away from using our industry-leading service. As if that wasn’t good enough, we’ll even come and collect your old vehicle from a location convenient to you, absolutely free of charge. Get started today with a quick phone call, or use our instant quote generator to find out just how much your vehicle could be worth.
Why is it important to stock your car up for winter
You might think that it’s not that important to be prepared for the winter, particularly here in Britain – we’re not exactly a nation known for its wintry extremes. However, freak weather can strike at any time, and you want to make sure you’re prepared for when it does. You just have to look at the sudden snow snap in 2022 that left the M25 at an utter standstill to see how much the weather can make a sudden impact.
Whether you’re stuck in a snow drift, a flash flood or even a long queue resulting from an accident on the roads due to adverse weather conditions, you’re going to want to make sure you’re suitably stocked in your trusty old set of wheels. There’s nothing worse than sitting for hours on end with nothing more than a packet of TicTacs in your centre console to keep you going.
What to pack in your car for winter
There is a wide range of items you’ll want to make sure you have in your car at all times during the winter. Let us talk you through them:
- De-icer and ice scraper: Basic, but essential. If the windscreen frosts over, you need something to clear it, and there’s nothing faster than the tried and tested de-icing spray and scraper.
- Torch: Sure, most smartphones these days have torches built in, but in an emergency situation, do you really want to be draining your phone battery? And they’re not the most powerful of lights, either, so a proper torch is a must have.
- Smartphone charger: We alluded to it before, but if your phone runs out of battery then you are suddenly in much more danger than you were before. If your car conks out in the bad weather and you’ve not got a means of contacting anyone to help, you’re on your own.
- Food & Drink: Even if you’re in your car every day, don’t assume that you’re never too far from a shop or your own kitchen, because if you’re stuck in a queue on the motorway, there’s going to be no food for a long time. Now, you don’t need a full blown pantry in your car, but some snacks in the glovebox and bottles of water are a must.
- Warm clothes: It gets cold in winter, even more so once the sun goes down, and if you’re stuck on the road overnight you’re going to want to make sure you’re wrapped up warm. Sure you could use the engine and car’s heater to keep you warm, but what if you’ve broken down, or you’re nearly out of fuel? Throw some jumpers and coats in the boot just in case.
- Hi-Vis jacket and Warning Triangle: If you’ve broken down, or you’re needing to get out of the car in the dark, then you need to make sure you’re visible. Hi-vis jackets may not be the most fashionable of items, but they will save your life, so make sure you have one in your car at all times, not just winter. The same goes for the warning triangle – but if you do use it make sure they’re far enough away, at least 45 metres.
- Shovel: Well, you’re not going to want to dig yourself out of a snowdrift with your bare hands, are you?
- Sunglasses: No, we haven’t gone mad. Have you ever seen just how blinding the low winter sun can be when bouncing off a cold, damp road? Save yourself from an unwanted incident as a result of the dazzling road conditions by having a pair of sunglasses to hand at all times.
If your car is somewhere you’d very much not want to find yourself stranded during a winter weather blitz then maybe it’s time to finally get rid of your troublesome vehicle and get something a little more comfortable. With Scrap Car Comparison, that is made much easier thanks to a network of scrap and salvage experts all around the country, finding you the best place in no time at all. Once you’ve agreed a price and arranged a free collection through one of our ages, the money will arrive in your account on the very same day your vehicle is collected. So with all that in mind, get started today and find out just how much your old car could be worth.